Alectra Utilities (formerly PowerStream) is committed to reliable power, environmental stewardship and sustainable growth.
That's why we're excited to be Ontario’s leader in using Smart Grid technologies for the benefit of our customers and the communities we serve.
What's so smart about 'smart' electricity distribution systems?
How about the fact that Smart Grids give you more of what you want and less of what you don't. Like more choice about managing your electricity costs. And less time spent waiting for the power to come on again after an outage. More green energy to power your community, with less air pollution, and more opportunities to plug in your electric vehicle, with zero money spent on gas. Sound smart?
It’s not just hype. As a forward-looking company, we’re convinced that the technologies related to the operation of a ‘smarter’— more intelligent — electricity distribution system are the way of the future, literally revolutionizing the way you’ll think about electricity. Consider this:
- Soon homeowners will be able to purchase smart energy-saving appliances that can communicate directly with their smart meter and program them to take advantage of off-peak electricity prices.
- Businesses will be able to generate some of their own electricity and use their own power to reduce overall demand on the system.
- Automated devices that help electricity utilities like Alectra Utilities to detect, prevent and restore power after an outage — without having to unnecessarily dispatch a Lines crew to the outage — have already been developed, are in use and will continue to grow.
Read these Case Studies:
|EV||Electric Vehicle Technology|
|AL||Advocacy and Leadership|
Our Four Key Priorities
To ensure a seamless transition to this new reality, our focus in this area of our business is structured around four key priorities. They will guide us as we decide what type of investments to make in these technologies and what will work best for our customers. Our commitment is to:
- Empower customers to better manage and control their electricity use
- Improve reliability
- Maintain privacy and security
- Support local green energy projects and economic development
Learn more about how these new technologies work and how they will make a difference for you, at home and at work. Watch our Smart Grid video on YouTube that explains how Smart Grid is helping Ontario become a pioneer in the future of new technologies that are clean, modern, reliable and work to the benefit of the customer.