Aging infrastructure, energy price volatility, weather disturbances, the need for renewables integration and more reliable power are just some of the energy challenges being faced by utilities, communities and customers across the globe.
Alectra Utilities (formerly PowerStream) and Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO) have partnered to bring to you the Microgrid Distributed Energy Resource Automation System (MiDAS). MiDAS represents a comprehensive, turn-key microgrid solution that can defer, mitigate and even harness the challenges by optimizing asset utilization and providing resiliency.
The MiDAS Microgrid Solution provides the following benefits to its customers:
- Reliability: The MiDAS Microgrid Solution offers resiliency, outage management and black start services. The system can be set up so that critical loads are backed up by a battery system.
- Sustainability: In areas where capacity or voltage issues prevent the deployment of more renewable generation (like solar and wind), the MiDAS Microgrid Solution can help alleviate congestion and volatility.
- Efficiency: The MiDAS Microgrid Solution allows a community or industrial facility to use power from on-site generation when it is more efficient to do so while retaining the ability to use the grid when power from the grid is more economical.
- Flexibility: The MiDAS Microgrid Solution allows for flexibility, whether the solution is deployed from the ground-up or on top of existing infrastructure.
- Security: The system supports industry standard protocols such as DNP3.0 and IEC 61850 that incorporate end-to-end encryption. The system can be operated in autonomous as well as manual modes and does not require an operator to be present on site.