We don't want you to give up the comforts you love. That's why we're always working towards a way for you to live better while saving on your energy bill. Advantage Power Pricing (APP) gives you options to do just that. Originally launched May 1, 2015, this program has been improved with new options and features, and extended to run until March 31, 2019.
How does the program work?
During the period of March 1, 2018 – March 31, 2019, your electricity costs will be based on APP-Overnight rates. On your monthly reports, you’ll be able to see how these costs compare to Time-Of-Use rates, and understand whether your bill is higher or lower each month depending on when you used electricity.
While your regular Alectra Utilities bill will still show costs under Time-of-Use rates, there will be an adjustment on your next bill that will match the cost shown on your monthly report. For example, you will receive your first monthly APP report in June 2018 for the period beginning March 1, 2018. The report will indicate how much you saved for that period. Your next Alectra Utilities bill will be adjusted by the amount indicated on the previous months' report.
While we designed this program to create opportunities for customers to reduce their electricity costs, some customers could pay more. Customers are advised to monitor their bill savings and electricity consumption profile using their monthly report and the web portal, and assess opportunities to shift consumption to lower-priced periods. These tools can inform customers whether to stay in or opt-out of the program. Customers are not obligated to stay in the program and can opt-out at any time.
Tools available to you to maximize your savings from APP-Overnight
There are a number of tools available to you to maximize your benefits with APP-Overnight:
- You will receive monthly reports comparing the cost of the electricity you used under the Time-of-Use cost structure to what you would have paid under the APP-Overnight structure. Using this consumption and price data, you can manage your electricity consumption and this can ultimately lead to savings.
- The online Customer Portal provides another layer of information beyond what’s in your monthly report. You can view your historical energy consumption along with a breakdown by price period, savings to date, and energy savings tips. You can also view copies of all previous monthly reports. The portal is accessible at AlectraUtilities.com/AdvantagePower/Portal. You will need a copy of your Alectra Utilities bill the first time that you log into the portal.
- Alectra Utilities offers support to provide additional features for smart thermostats while helping the electricity system avoid high peaks. You can get an incentive of $75 by enabling this feature through your smart thermostat (Honeywell, Nest, or ecobee). This feature will also make it easier to reduce your costs by automatically adjusting your thermostat during higher-priced periods. You are able to override these adjustments.
A limited number of eligible customers could receive free installation of a new Energate Foundation thermostat instead of the $75 incentive. Visit our APP Technology page for more information.
For more information about these tools, please visit the APP-Overnight Frequently Asked Questions.
More details of APP-Dynamic Plan
Ideal if you're a shift worker or have an electric vehicle, APP-Overnight gives you a window (12:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m.) with an extra low rate for electricity. On-peak rates are somewhat higher to compensate for this discount and provide even more incentive to shift some of your electricity consumption to Off-peak and Super Off-peak periods.
Advantage Power Pricing – Overnight: Weekday price schedule
Current Time-of-Use: Summer weekdays (May 1, 2018 - October 31, 2018)
Summer and winter rate periods
People use electricity differently depending on the season, so we established two sets of Time-of-Use rate periods: summer and winter. No matter which season, on weekends and holidays the lowest rates are in effect all day. For the APP-Overnight plan, this means the Off-peak rate is in effect all day on weekends and holidays, except 12:00 a.m. – 6:00 a.m. when the Super Off-peak rate is in effect. Prices in Advantage Power Pricing may change on May 1, 2018 to coincide with any changes to Ontario’s Regulated Price Plan. Customers will be informed in advance of any changes to the plan.
The charts below show when standard APP-Overnight rates apply in summer (May 1-October 31) and in winter (November 1-April 30).
May 1 – October 31
In summer, electricity use peaks during the hottest part of the afternoon, when air conditioners are running on high. On-peak hours are mid-day.
November 1 – April 30
In winter, less daylight means electricity use peaks twice: once in the morning when people wake up and turn on their lights and appliances, then again when people get home from work. There are two sets of On-peak hours to reflect this.
For more detailed information, please review the additional resources below:
- APP General Terms and Conditions
- APP Thermostat Installation Terms and Conditions
- APP Enrolling Existing Thermostat Terms and Conditions
- APP Impact and Process Evaluation: Winter 2015/2016 and Summer 2016
This is one of a series of pilots under way across Ontario led by the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) whose mandate is to promote a sustainable and efficient energy sector that provides consumers with reliable energy services at a reasonable cost. With the participation of utilities and their customers, the OEB’s goal with these pilots is to test different electricity price plans designed to give greater consumer control and help Ontario’s power system run more efficiently.