Pull the plug
Pulling by the cord will wear it out quickly and create a shock hazard.
Keep cords away from heat and water
Heat or water can damage the insulation that protects you and create a shock hazard.
Cords under carpets are a fire hazard
Do not run electrical cords under rugs, through doorways or anywhere they will get excessive wear.
Never break off the third prong on a plug
Replace any two-prong outlets with a three-prong outlet and ensure it is properly grounded. It provides a ground path and helps to minimize shocks.
Inspect cord and plugs
Worn, they can cause fire, short circuits or shocks. Check electrical cords and plugs and discard them if they are worn or damaged.
Eliminate octopus connections
Plugging a number of cords into one outlet is a fire hazard. It usually indicates that your home wiring is outdated for your needs and that you should have more outlets wired in by a qualified electrical contractor.
Do not use extension cords as permanent wiring
An extension cord is a handy device to temporarily bring power to an area in your home that does not have an outlet. It was never designed to take the place of permanent wiring. Using extension cords as permanent wiring is an indication that your home wiring is not adequate and should be updated by a qualified electrical contractor.