PowerStream is the first and only company in York Region and Simcoe County, and only utility in Ontario, to have two LEED® Gold Certified facilities.LEED Gold Head Office
Located at 161 Cityview Boulevard (northwest corner of Highway 400 and Major Mackenzie Drive) in Vaughan, PowerStream’s Head Office facility is a testament to the company’s commitment to being a socially responsible corporate citizen when it comes to conservation and protecting the environment.
The 92,000 square foot facility, which officially opened for business early in 2008, has numerous energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly features which enabled the building to achieve LEED gold certification form the Canada Green Building Council (CaGBC). These include:
- 95 per cent of the building’s interior receives natural light during daylight hours.
- A wind turbine generator and nine solar panels to offset some of the building’s electricity requirements. To view generation data from the solar panels please click here.
- High-efficiency plumbing fixtures that reduce potable water use by 20 to 30 percent.
- Washrooms with high efficiency fixtures including ultra-low flow faucets with automatic controls, ultra-low flow showerheads and half flush toilets.
- A drainage pond adjacent to the building which is used for landscape watering and reduces the need for potable water by 100 percent.
- Majority of the building is equipped with occupancy sensors for lighting.
- Glass windows enclosing the building are filled with argon gas, an insulating value so heat is not lost during the winter, and a titanium reflective coating on the inside of the glass reflects ultra violet rays keeping the building cool during the summer.
- Glues, resins, carpeting, paints and wood products used in the construction of the building have no off gassing or volatile organic compounds present.
- Office furniture is GreenGuard certified.
- 25 indoor parking spaces have been designated for employees who carpool.
LEED Gold Operations Centre
Located at 80 Addiscott Crt (northeast corner of Highway 407 and Woodbine Ave) in Markham, PowerStream’s South Operations Centre continues to illustrate the company’s commitment to being a responsible corporate citizen.
The 107,214 square foot facility, which officially opened for business in early 2010, has numerous energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly features which enabled the building to achieve LEED Gold certification from the CaGBC. These include:
- a white roof for temperature control
- drought-resistant plants and shrubbery (no potable water used for outdoor watering)
- an array of solar panels on the south-facing wall which allow for the generation of 16.5 kW of electricity
- a water reservoir to collect and store runoff rain water, funneling it into the wash bay, toilets and urinals.